Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to apply as sponsors through this program are required to first complete an online form on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to indicate their interest in applying to sponsor their parent(s) or grandparent(s). The online form for this year’s application cycle went live on January 2, 2018, and was available until February 1, 2018. The Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream for parent(s) and grandparent(s) of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Successful parent(s) and grandparent(s) under this program will receive Canadian permanent residence and may eventually be able to apply for Canadian citizenship. To be eligible for Family Class sponsorship, the sponsor in Canada must meet the following requirements:
- The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- The sponsor must be 18 years of age or older;
- The sponsor must exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both can be included);
- The sponsor must sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 years, if necessary; and
- If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional “undertaking” must be signed.